Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Eve of Lent

For me Lent is season of renewal. Honestly it is my favorite season in the church. I know this seem like an odd choice, why not the Pentecostal season, where we talk about the miracles of the spirit or Christmas which is bound by joy for the birth of a savior? The truth is i don't really know. Those season are great and important, but they have never reached me like Lent.

Lent is time of temptation. It is a time when we look into to our hearts and boldly ask:"What is seperating me from God?", "What seperates me from joy?", "What is holding me back from being who I was destined to be." These are hard questions and I like anyone one with real sin, get nervous about trying to answer them. Lent teaches us that the answers aren't supposed to come all at once, faith is not a simple transformation. It is days in the desert, it is lonely, and requires all of you. Faith is abour perseverance, it is about beliving that you are on a path, that you are doing things doings that were meant to be.

Every year that i celebrate lent, i choose to not to merely give up a temptation (although that does work for some peopple), but to give up the pretense that i have it together. I try to open up to the word, to the path, and listen for the answers that scare me. What are you calling me to do?

Here I am Lord, it is I Lord, I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

This is my prayer for to move away what is holding me back to go where i am called and to learn to be who i am.

This Lent I going to try act this faith through this blog. I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment